22.3.11

"Caught in a blizzard"

A 10-15 min blizzard strongly influenced my first competition here in Tänndalen (Photo: Ivar Haugen). I skied well in the beginning, a bit controlled to get into a good map reading rhythm, on the third control however, I failed to punch and had to return to the control to punch again, I lost time on this but was still in the race. As I skied from the sixth control wind and heavy snow fall made map reading and vision of the tracks difficult. I struggled to read the map and had to ski less aggressive. Specially in the last short loop the vision was a problem and I even skied out of the track a few times. Although I am not to happy with a 7th place, I did a good race and got an OK start of the championships. 36 seconds is not to much with a miss punch and blizzard. Hopefully the weather will be equal for all competitors the rest of the WOC and I am really looking forward to the rest of the competitions. Junior(!) Tove Alexanderson won in front of Helen Söderlund and Liisa Anttila. My team mates Barbro Kvåle and Stine Kirkevik finished 5th and 6th.

In the mens race the weather was at least more stable. Christian did a good race in the start and was 10th, 37 sec behind the lead at the first intermediate control, unfortunately he did a mistake after this and ended as number 19. Olli Markus Taivanen won in front of Staffan Tunis and Peter Arneson.

GPS tracking from the sprint distance can be found here: women, men.

To morrow we will ski middle distance. You can follow the competitions live under "live results": here. First start is at 10.00.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Marte. I was orienteering in a filthy blizzard this morning and skiing in another blizzard tonight (at Nilsbyen) so I can sympathise. Hope you have another good race tomorrow & a little extra luck too xx
    Seeing the map made me excited to join the fun later in the week!!

    ReplyDelete