22.6.10

Venla 2010, a huge disappointment

After last years victory on the first leg, I was really looking forward to this years relay. I knew the terrain would be more challenging, but as long as I focused on the map I should be OK. I started OK to the first and second control, but on the way to the third I lost the direction totally, I had to run back to the second control, and this time followed the compass. I guess I lost 2-3 min on this mistake and I knew that with a good finish I could still do a good leg. I ran well for a while and was closing the gap to the lead from 3 to 2 minutes, however on the way to the 10th control I spoiled it all. Again I did not use the compass good enough and after searching the 10th control for a while I found my self on the wrong ridge.. In the finish I was 8 minutes behind at 157th place.
Luckily my team mates did better and 700 meters before the finish line we were number 13. Helen had one mistake, but ran safe the rest of the course and changed over as 77, Sara ran safe and steady at her leg and changed over as number 20, Elise kept on picking teams nearly all her leg and was number 13 a few controls from the finish. 700 meters before the finish line Elise hurt her foot, lost control for a while, did a 7 minutes mistake and was passed by 21 teams. In the end we were number 34, in a way an amazing result considering our mistakes.. Next year we will be back chasing the podium again!


See Venla maps and GPS tracking here: Venla GPS tracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment