8.2.11

A perfect end of the week: Relay Bronze

Together with the rest of the norwegian women relay team, Stine Olsen Kirkevik and Marianne Melbye Larsen, I ended the european championship with a bronze medal. Our goal was to fight for a medal, but during the relay it did not seam very likely. Marianne skied the first leg, she did good in the start and was about a minute behind the lead about half way. But towards the end of her leg she got trouble, and lost almost 5 minutes to Russia I in the lead. Stine skied amazing on the second leg, with the best leg time she skied us up from a 9th to a 6th position and changed over 3.50 behind Russia I. However 3.50 is a lot to catch, and a medal seamed like an impossible task, but as I skied out on the last leg I heard the speaker say that both Russia and Finland was doing mistakes in the lead: there was still hope! I did an ok start and cathced Finland II towards the 3rd control, at the public control I could see Finland I, and Liisa Anttila, in front. I was fighting for a forth place. Four controls later we were together, Liisa did a right rout choice to the 3rd last control, whilst I decided to go left to avoid the extra climb. This was a smart move and I punched the next control in front of Liisa. What I did not know was that Russia II did a major mistake in the end and was behind us, we got the bronze! (Photo: Stein Arne Nygård)

GPS tracking from the last leg: here.

Christian finished 7th with the Swiss team. He did an ok race on the second leg. Switzerland won a bronze medal in the relay at the World championships in Moscow in 2007. Hopefully they will do well in Sweden in march and fight for a medal.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the medal! I wished the US could send some women to EOC, but we couldn't afford it. I was wondering if you knew of anywhere to train near Roros for before WOC this year? We are looking to come over early and train, but do not know where to go for places with maps and scooter tracks. Will your team be training somewhere? You can email me at acjospe@gmail.com. Thank you!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete